Center “Ion Sava”
The “I.L. Caragiale” National Theatre of Bucharest, through the “Ion Sava” Centre for Theatre Research and Creation, is launching the fourth edition of the 9G programme at NTB (New Generation), dedicated to young playwrights, graduates of relevant faculties, aged 35 or under, who are not employed in theatre institutions. The programme has been launched in January 2014, while 15 projects have been selected to date, 13 of which are included in the 9G Season at NTB.
9G at NTB takes place in the Small Hall, space exclusively intended for young artists.
9G at NTB. Procedure:
- The “I.L. Caragiale” National Theatre of Bucharest and the “Ion Sava” Centre for Theatre Research and Creation provide the premises for the preparation of the show, in the Small Hall or one of the rehearsal halls of the theatre, for a period of three weeks (of which one week on the stage of the Small Hall). Depending on the theatre’s rehearsal schedule and the availability of halls (rehearsal halls, foyers etc.) or the complexity of the proposed project, the time necessary for the preparation of the show can be prolonged.
- NTB provides the technical facilities of the Small Hall, the costume stock, the scenery stock, the props, the theatre’s workshops, without making any additional investment in connection with the production of the show, but also the theatre’s logistical support and counselling.
- The shows resulting from the selected projects shall have 3 free representations, with free entrance, without payment of copyright or related fees.
- Following the performances with audience, and with the consent of the NTB artistic board, the show can be included in a season (with the possibility of contract prolongation) in the repertoire of the Small Hall, in the 9G Season at NTB, requiring minimal investments in production and payment of copyright, according to the recipe of the representation, payment collection and promotion.
Terms of participation in the project pre-selection:
- The team proposing the project must consist of independent artists, graduates of relevant faculties, aged 35 or under.
- There is no type of requirement or restriction related to the enlisted texts (classical and contemporary dramaturgy) or to the kind of proposed aesthetics, but the show concept focused on the art of the actor represents an advantage.
- Projects shall be sent per e-mail to the address: email@example.com. They shall comprise (according to the attached form): the directing concept of the show (maximum 2 pages); the cast, and the CVs of the team members. (Links with recordings of previous shows of the team members may be added or recorded performances can be sent as transfers). Furthermore, the technical requirements of the project shall be listed in detail.
The play, the adaptation for the stage, the script (any text underlying the project) must be attached in a separate document.
- The space of the Small Hall shall be used according to the attached outline (Italian stage).
Projects shall be enlisted starting from 7 March 2017 until 7 April 2017, whereas by mid-May (the date shall be set according to the number of registered projects), the shortlisted titles and teams shall be announced. Following a discussion with the teams, the projects shall be selected which shall go into rehearsals in the first stage of the 9G programme (according to the regulation).
Researching and Theatrical Creation Center “Ion Sava” is that place where theatre can be a game, at large, in absence of the institutional pressure, of the dictatorship of deadlines and the final product obligations named spectacle. More than everything, it expects to be an open space for ideas and for attempts, first of all for the creative process, even if it is about the professional development or about the exploration of new territories of scenic art.
It came into existence by means of a government issue in 2005 and functioning since 2006, Researching and Theatrical Creation Center “Ion Sava” is on the one hand an informal “school” of perfectioning artists and technicians who work on the Romanian stage, and on the other hand an open platform for theatrical and interdisciplinary experiment and investigation.
The workshops which evolve inside the Center attend to cover a large spectre of theatrical areas, from dramaturgy to scenography and from neo-avant-garde to recovering the lost memory of the Romanian stage. The center organizes master class handled by distinguished professionists, Romanians and foreigners, and it offers creation space for artists in searching for new dramaturgy or performative language, in the guise of practice, lectures and meetings.
Researching and Theatrical Creation Center “Ion Sava”
National Theatre “I.L. Caragiale”
Nicolae Bălcescu avenue, no 2, sector 1, Bucharest
Tel.: 021/3139175 extension 127